In 2012 Def Jam Records reinvented itself in ways not seen since the late 90’s and early 2000’s. No other record label seen success from several different artists on one label this year like Def Jam Records. When you think about impact, no label big or small has captivated the attention of old and young hip hop heads like Def Jam Records.
Trust, respect and credibility comes to mind when you think about artists signed to Def Jam right now. Kanye West, Rick Ross, Nas, Frank Ocean, 2 Chainz, Big K.R.I.T., Big Sean, Young Jeezy, Ludacris, Pusha T, Cy Hi The Prynce, Fabolous, Jadakiss, Big Boi, Juelz Santana, Jeremih, YG, Rihanna, Ne-Yo just to name a few. — HipHopNews24-7.com Brings You The Top 10 Reasons Def Jam Records is Running Hip Hop in 2012
1. Signing 2 Chainz To Def Jam in February 2012 was the biggest and deffer move of the year. 2 Chainz is arguably in the top 3 artists in 2012. T.R.U. to My REALigion is set for a August 14, 2012, release date
2. G.O.O.D Music, is founded by Kanye West and distributor through Def Jam Records.
3. Rick Ross is probably the biggest artist of the year, with the biggest album of the year. “God Forgives, I Don’t” sold 225K it’s first week. It debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200
4. Nas released “Life is Good” album on Def Jam Records selling 149K it’s first week. It debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200. Just having a legendary emcee like Nas on your record label put you ahead of the game.
5. Frank Ocean signed to Def Jam in 2011 and released his first album “Channel Orange” July 2012 which sold 131K it’s first week. It debuted at number two on the US Billboard 200.
6. Big K.R.I.T Signed to Def Jam In June 2010 and released “Live from the Underground” album June 5, 2012. Big K.R.I.T is become one of the most influential emcees from the South. Live from the Underground debut #1 on the Hip Hop Album Charts.
7. Joie Manda Appointed President of Def Jam — The first in that role since Jay-Z. So on March 14, 2012 Island Def Jam Music Group appointed Joie Manda to President of Def Jam Recordings and the announcement was made by Barry Weiss, Chairman & CEO of Universal Republic and Island Def Jam, to whom he reports to.
8. Sha Money XL Senior VP of A&R at Def Jam Records is a asset to Def Jam. He’s the former president of G-Unit Records and responsible for bringing 50 Cent to the mainstream. Sha Money XL is the executive producer for Big K.R.I.T.’s #1 debut Hip Hop Album, Live from the Underground. He’s also signed Big K.R.I.T.’s and 2 Chainz to Def Jam.
9. Shawn “Pecas” Costner is Def Jam Capo! Shawn previously worked for Arista Records for 5 years. Shawn has become the most recognized executive at Def Jam Records. In layman terms, he’s the H.N.I.C next to Joie Manda.
10. Def Jam merged with Universal and Island Records to form The Island Def Jam Music Group, which is now own by Universal Music Group. UMG is the largest group of record labels in the world.
This Is The Top 10 Reasons Why “Def Jam Records” Is Running Hip Hop In 2012 (RIP Shakir Stewart)
– By. Futuristic Blogger
— Futuristic Blogger Is Hip Hop’s Most Reliable Source For Information. (Updated Hourly)